The 1.0~beta3 version of Bangarang has been released.
This version includes several bugfixes and improvements including better saved lists management, improved media info updates with in app – instead of notification based – progress indicator, support for translations with initial support for French, Dutch and German and improved playlist file format support. See the release notes for more details.
If you would like to package Bangarang for your distribution you can download the source tarball for the latest release from here. You can also keep up with the latest development at the gitorious project development home.
Many thanks to Kristof Bal who added translations support and provided Dutch translations. Andreas Marschke provided German translations and did much of the video settings work. Ryan Kavanagh provided French translations and took on the task of bringing much needed sanity to the source code tree layout.
Others chipped in as well and I am really grateful. There were several weekends since the last beta when I was grinning from ear-to-ear when I got to merge contributions from various people. Let me just say this:
I love Free/Open Source software and I… Love.. Git…
ohhh, how I love git… we’ve known each other only a short time but I’m head over heals… sliced bread, meet git… ok, I’ll stop. 🙂
One important note for Bangarang beta testers. I updated the video ontology in anticipation of the next Shared Desktop Ontologies release. Much of the feedback I collected during beta testing provided useful data with which to contribute to the Shared Desktop Ontologies effort. The immediate upside is that we have more video metadata in beta3. The unfortunate downside is that testers will likely have to regenerate their video metadata. So consider this both a thanks for the feedback and an apology for the inconvenience. This is a necessary evil so that we can fully integrate with the rest of the desktop – one of the primary goals of the project. I fully intend to provide built-in ontology translation for any post 1.0 ontology changes. (Additionally, Andreas tentatively has code which could be used to auto-populate some video metadata using IMDB).
Thanks for everyone’s help and patience!