I’m happy to announce the release of Bangarang 2.0.
After a year in development, we’ve have finally crossed the finish line. There are many new features and bugfixes since 1.0 including:
- New Info View that provides helpful information about your media when you need it and integrated metadata editing and drilling.
- Info fetchers to help lookup additional media information for Artists, Movies, TV Shows, Actors, etc.
- Support for Audio and Video feeds
- Organize and browse media using (nepomuk) tags.
- Improved DVD support including support for subtitles, chapters, audio channels and angles.
- Embedded and external subtitle support
- Improved audio and video settings
- Bookmarks support
- Revamped Files and Folders support
- MPRIS and system tray support
- Shortcuts support
- and more…
This has been a fun and enlightening development cycle. Bangarang, like other open source software, is the product of volunteer effort . Speaking for myself, I poured chunks of my heart and soul into this – more, sometimes, than I probably had to spare – but that’s half the fun! That’s the deal with life – you can’t take it with you in the end. Besides, it has been wonderful having something into which I can direct my creative energies.
Stefan Burnicki has been a great developer to work with and if he ever comes knocking on your door offering to help out with your project, feel free to let him in! Andreas Marschke provided helpful support in the early 2.0 development cycle. Elias Probst and Jérôme Artu have been the best testers and bug reporters ever and made a huge difference in what 2.0 might otherwise be without them. The translators have been great and several others have provided one-time patches and support. If you would like to participate positively in the next release see the project links at the bottom of the page.
Now, as excited as I may be about this release, I realize that some people may encounter bugs that we did not find during our test phase. Please feel free to use the issue tracker to report these bugs. Packagers can find the released source tarball here. This release can by downloaded from opendesktop.org.
I hope you enjoy this release!